The Bali Post quoted the National Chief Prosecutors office as confirming that prosecutors in Banten (West Java) and Jakarta are making preparations for a suden surge of executions of prisoners now under sentence of death in Indonesia.
A Junior Chief Prosecutor, Hamzah Tadja, (photo) confirmed steps are in play that will soon bring 20 people on death row in the two locales before a firing squad.
The numbers slated for death are 3 in Banten and 17 in Jakarta. While confirming the preparations are ongoing, Hamzah refused to give a time or a place for the coming executions.
“I am not allowed to tell you (the time of the planned executions). Later, when it’s time, you’ll know,” Hamzah explained on Monday, June 25, 2012.
He added that he was unable to provide complete data on the total number of people now sitting on death row across Indonesia, because local prosecutors have yet to file formal reports on the actual number of those under a sentence of death who have exhausted all possible avenues of appeal.
“(But), We have this data from prosecutors in Jakarta and Banten,” he said.
Earlier, Chief Prosecutors had reported that through October 2012 there were 100 people on death row, down from an earlier figure of 116. The decline was due to remission of sentences (7), escapes from prison (6) and death by natural causes (3).
According to prosecutors, from the original 116 on death row nationwide, 58 were convicted of narcotics violations, 55 for premeditated murder and 2 for terrorism. (sic)
Included among those who have exhausted the appeal process and are now close to execution are:
- Merika Pranola from Tangerang, Banteng who was convicted of smuggling 3.5 kg of heroin.
- Harnoko Dewantoro in Jakarta convicted of premeditated murder.
- Gunawan Santoso, also known as Acin, in Jakarta convicted for premeditated murder.
- Iwan Darawan Mutho, also known as Rais, and Achmad Hasa, also known as Agung Cahyono, convicted or terrorism.
- Yuda Akang, Sastra Wijaya, Tjik Wang also known as Akwand or Ricky Candra, Federik Luttar, Lim Jit Wee also know as Kim, Jet Lie Chandra also know as Cece, Hunphrey Ejike also known as Doktor, Gap Badia also known as Papa, Euge Ape, also known as Felixe or Ek, Fere Dike Ole Kumala also known as Samuel, Tham Tuck Yun also known as Atjay (Malaysia), Seck Osman (Senegal) and Marhin Anderson also known as Belo (Ghana) – all convicted of narcotics violations.
- Marco Archer Cardoso Moreira (50) from Brazil. A former Bali resident arrested in Jakarta in 2003 with 13.4 kg of cocaine concealed in a hang glider.
The last execution before a firing squad in Indonesia occurred in 2008 when the three Bali bombers were shot.