Leading the news this week: A Singaporean drowns at Nusa Lembongan while trying to take a cliff-side “selfie.” 20 kiosks at the entrance to Bali’s bat cave at “Goa Lawah” have been destroyed by fire. A tourist driver gets sentenced to five years in prison for drug possession. And, a Chinese couple has been deported for selling goods in a local market while visiting on a tourist visa.
Police were called to the Sky Garden last weekend to defuse a situation between two groups of “security staff” vying for the right to control the popular Kuta nightspot.
As VAR stocks of human vaccine are now “zero” on the island, Bali has recorded it first human rabies fatality of 2015.
Bali Prison Officials are being asked how they managed to let the wrong man go free from prison last week.
Bali’s newly appointed Chief of Police has higher ambitions and has applied to be considered as the next Director General of Immigration.
A State-owned company cries “foul” - claiming the bid process for the Bali Mandara International Hospital Project has suffered from inappropriate interference.
A pod of four pilot whales has been cruising up and down Padang Galak Beach in Sanur for the past week, keeping a sick whale company while recuperating from a wound. Meanwhile, six protected Bali Starlings have been confiscated from a private collector near Ubud. Still on the subject of animals, Bali Sangeh Monkey Forest records growth in international visitors.
Australian-Indonesian cooperation remains strong evidenced by the continuing program of assistance to to reduce maternity deaths in Bali by the Adelaide Women’s and Children’s Hospital.
More calls for property tax reform to help Bali farmers hang on to agricultural lands. Denpasar’s Mayor prepares to Ban all tobacco advertising in public places.
There also welcomed news of Indonesia’s increasing competitiveness in the international tourism sector.
Benoa’s port undergoes an oceanographic survey to improve service to the cruise industry.
Hotel News: Bali’s average length-of-stay at starred hotels hit 3.25 days in March 2015. Bali officials say they are preparing to put the Crystal Hotel on the Bay project under seal, preparatory to its possible demolishment.
Aviation News: Garuda will start direct flights between Bali and Guangzhou on July 8, 2015. Bali officials appear serious in plans to build an offshore airport on reclaimed land in the Island’s north.
- Rare Singing Talent in Recital with American Anthony Brown and Indonesian Galed Krisjayanta at the Bali Island School on Saturday, June 6, 2015.
- Grand Nikko Bali Resort and Spa to Host 2nd Annual Golf Tournament on Saturday, June 6, 2015.
- A Michelin-Starred Indian Chef in a One-Day Only Appearance at the Alila Villa Soori in West Bali on Saturday, June 13, 2015.
- Conrad Bali Living Lobby Art Exhibition features wayang puppets through June 30, 2015.
- Bali and Beyond Travel Fair, June 10-14, 2015.
- 7th International Body Music Festival (IBMF) in Bali, Indonesia, July 3-12, 2015.
- Balinale – Bali International Film Festival – the 9th Edition, September 24-30, 2015.
- 4th BII Maybank Bali International Marathon, on Sunday, August 30, 2015.
- ASEAN Beach Wrestling Tournament in Bali September 18-19, 2015.
- Seven Star Global Luxury Awards in Bali on September 19, 2015. Be sure to vote!
- International (ICEVI) Conference on Education for the Visually Impaired in Bali, September 28-October 1, 2015.
- World Congress of Consuls in Bali, October 15-18, 2015.
- 2015 Herbalife Bali International Triathlon on October 25, 2015.
Editor Bali Update
Bali Discovery Tours