Leading the news from Bali are three corruption stories: The two immigration officers accused of extorting money from a Chinese tourist are now in police custody, named suspects while criminal charges are prepared against them. A YouTube video of an angry encounter between a tour guide and ticket attendants at Kintamani has reignited discussions about aggressive and venal behavior by official in charge at the popular tourist attraction. And, the corruption trial of the Balinese former Minister of Tourism and Minister of Energy has started in Jakarta.
Sad news: Indonesia has won the dubious distinction of being named as the top destination for those who prey sexually on young children.
A Bali Update exclusive: Read the spirited response from the Jakarta Animal Aid Network to statements recently issued by the management of the Wake Bali Dolphin Park.
There’s also news from the Port of Gilimanuk where villagers are demanding repairs be undertaken by ship operators accused of causing erosion at a local temple. A provincial lawmaker has raised the alarm about an urban pigsty housing 300 pigs and seeping an estimated 1,800 kilograms of raw sewage into a local river. And, Bali has “frozen” all development at the Jatiluwih World Heritage Site until firm zoning rules can be put in place.
A Bank Indonesia study says cultural tourism in Bali is on the decline. Meanwhile, Bali’s international schools have been told by Bank Indonesia to start charging fees and tuition in Indonesian Rupiahs.
Read how the Begawan Foundation is teaching the values of environmental conservation to Balinese schoolchildren.
Indonesia’s Minister of Tourism wants Nusa Penida and Bali to be develop as financial service centers.
An attractive new website promoting North Bali tourism has been launched by three leading companies operating on the Island’s north coast.
For the 3rd year running, the U.K. Post Office has named Bali as the cheapest long-haul destination.
Hotel News: We have the results of the 3rd Annual Seven Star Luxury Hospitality and Lifestyle Awards held at The Trans Resort Bali. Anantara Seminyak leads local efforts during Coastal Cleanup 2015. And, Hotel Link Solutions – Indonesia team members earn accreditation as digital marketers.
Aviation News: A Cathay Pacific flight from Perth to Hong Kong diverted to Bali last week for an emergency landing. And a Garuda Indonesia flight from Bali to Labuan Bajo made an unscheduled stop in Lombok to disembark a mentally disturbed passenger.
Read what the Indian Press has to say about the Queen Tandoor chain of restaurants in Bali.
The Bali Safari Marine Park generously hosts 50 children from the Solemen Foundation on International Rhino Day.
Take time to read letters from our readers in an installment of “We Get Mail.”
- ‘Human Roots’- an Exhibition of Wood Sculptures by Mickael Obrenovitch at the Sofitel Bali Nusa Dua through December 4, 2015
- International (ICEVI) Conference on Education for the Visually
- Once-a-Year Epic Performance of 'Mahakarya Borobudur' at the 9th Century Borobudur Temple in Central Java on Saturday, October 10, 2015.
- ‘Run to Give’ with the folks who work at Starwood Hotels in Bali and Lombok on Sunday, October 11, 2015.
- Citra Scholastika & Bastian Steel perform for children's charities at The Westin Nusa Dua Bali on October 16, 2015.
- World Congress of Consuls in Bali, October 15-18, 2015.
- ASEAN Senior Law Officials – ASLOM Meet in Bali October 18-22, 2015.
- Pink Ribbon Gala Fund Raising Dinner at The Trans Resort Bali - Friday, October 23, 2015
- 2015 Herbalife Bali International Triathlon on October 25, 2015.
- 15th Edition of the Rock ‘n Run at Hard Rock Bali Hotel on Sunday. November 1, 2015.
- Ubud Writers and Readers Festival October 28 - November 1, 2015
- 4th International Conference on Family Planning November 9-12, 2015.
- ‘Bali Carnaval’ and Wedding Exhibition November 12-15, 2015
- Asian Heritage Network to Meet in Denpasar and Yogyakarta January 8-12, 2016.
- 2016 Interhash Run in Bali May 19-22, 2016.
Om Çanti Çanti Çanti Om ...
Editor Bali Update
Bali Discovery Tours
Editor Bali Update
Bali Discovery Tours