Monday, August 1, 2011
BALI Latest Updates
Om Swastiastu ...
Full report at http://www.balidiscovery.com/update/update777.asp
Garuda is in the news again this week. The brief strike launched by the airline's pilots last week has been abandoned with minimal disruption to flight services. Adding to the national carrier's woes, H1 2011 results show significant losses for Garuda.
In other top news this week: Authorities are preparing to move against 90 Bali companies employing 99 foreigners on expired work permits. The former head of the Bali Tourism Authority, Gede Nurjaya, has been exonerated on corruption charges by a Denpasar Court of Appeals. A Frenchman has received an extended one year stay in Bali for marijuana possession. Meanwhile, a Ugandan man may face the death penalty after being found with a "gutful" of methamphetamine at Bali's airport.
We've got insights on the inability of regional authorities to close down illegal cafes, despite repeated demands to do so by the governor. And there's the unusual story of a Russian tourist caught trying to steel a local man's bicycle in the middle of the night.
More details are also emerging on the new Sarbagita Mass Transit Bus System.
Bali Hotels Association comments on the current over-supply of hotel rooms in Bali and the not-unrelated need to find new sources of water to supply the island's growing hotel industry.
In development news, we have confirmation of the groundbreaking for the Sanur to Nusa Dua-Benoa elevated toll way and a call for wider community consultation before major tourism projects are approved.
Bali Update interviews Peter Meyer of the American Chamber of Commerce in Indonesia who attended the recent entrepreneurs conference in Bali.
Drinking less but paying more? We look at the high excise taxes imposed on alcohol in Indonesia.
Be sue to read our editorial on why Bali needs much more than a moratorium on new hotels. Agree or disagree, tell us what you think so we can share your comments in next week's Update.
• Nyoman Suarnata's "Deadline" - an exhibition of paintings at Adi's Gallery in Ubud through August 28, 2011.
• August 5th – join a one night only exhibition of Balinese photography and new age music at the Bloo Lagoon in Padang Bai.
• August 5 through 25 an exhibition of paintings by Davina Stephens at the Ganehsa Gallery at the Four Seasons Resort on Jimbaran Bay.
• August 5th at The Tugu Bali Hotel in Canggu there's a chance to witness rarely performed Balinese dance and music.
• August 26th at the St. Regis Bali – Enjoy six-courses of outstanding cuisine paired with the South Australian wines of Peter Lehmann.
• R.O.L.E. Model Charity Dinner at the AYANA Resort and Spa Bali on August 11th.
• September 6 Street Marching Competition to Commemorate the 105th Anniversary of the Puputan Badung.
See the exciting video clip on "Devdan – Treasures of the Archipelago" - the latest breathtaking theatrical show opening the Nusa Dua Theatre.
Om Çanti Çanti Çanti Om ...
J.M. Daniels - Bali Update
Bali Discovery Tours