Monday, July 25, 2011
BALI Latest Updates
Om Swastiastu ...read the full report at
It will be an interesting week ahead as Garuda Pilots are threatening to go on strike on Thursday over wage demands.
Last week, violence broke out in the regency of Bangli resulting in one death, numerous injuries and a number of arrests. Latest reports are that peace and calm have been restored in that area.
In other news: 2 Balinese men face the possibility of 10 years imprisonment for cutting down protected mangrove trees on their own land. The controversial Bali International Park remains bogged down in technicalities. The new buses that will power a new mass transit system in Bali have finally arrived – nearly two years behind schedule.
Rabies is back in the news. We've news of a US$500,000 grant from the U.S.A. to help Bali fight the disease, and encouraging data that Bali is on track to eliminate the disease by 2012 and be certified "rabies free" by 2015.
ASITA is calling for the closure of illegal travel agents, travel websites and tourist information counters.
Also in the news: Bali is now considering how to implement no-smoking zones in public areas and hotels. New electronic identity cards will be introduced in Denpasar starting in August. Officials are cracking down on illegal billboards and banners, promising to replace the old signage with modern LED systems.
Last week, Bali made an impressive show of disaster preparedness when it launched a massive tsunami-earthquake drill. We've got the details.
In aviation news: Read how police have busted a ring at Bali's airport stealing booze from parked airplanes. Indications that Mandala Airlines may be flying again, as early as August. Merpati's has plans to carry 3.3 million passengers in 2011 using its fleet of new Chinese jets. There's extra flights scheduled over the coming Lebaran holidays. And, why Garuda's share prices are down 31% from the initial IPO price.
• "Hands for our Children" - a full day charity bazaar for children afflicted with cancer will be held at the Kuta Galeria on Saturday, July 30th.
• Bali Asli – a unique new restaurant concept pioneered by Chef Penelope Williams opens in East Bali on July 30th.
• A free "Concert for Komodo" comes to Kuta beach at sunset on Saturday, July 30th.
• Swiss National Day celebrations at the Ayodya Resort on August 1st.
• Nyoman Suarnata's "Deadline" - an exhibition of paintings at Adi's Gallery in Ubud July 31 through August 28, 2011.
• August 5 through 25 an exhibition of paintings by Davina Stephens at the Ganehsa Gallery at the Four Seasons Resort on Jimbaran Bay.
• August 5th at The Tugu Bali Hotel in Canggu a chance to witness rarely performed Balinese dance and music.
• R.O.L.E. Model Charity Dinner at the AYANA Resort and Spa Bali on August 11th
• September 6 Street Marching Competition to Commemorate the 105th Anniversary of the Puputan Badung.
See the exciting video clip on "Devdan – Treasures of the Archipelago" - the latest breathtaking theatrical show opening the Nusa Dua Theatre.
Om Çanti Çanti Çanti Om ...
J.M. Daniels - Bali Update
Bali Discovery Tours