Wiranto’s resurrection: Indonesia names controversial former general as security minister - Indicted war criminal says he is a man of peace
Wiranto, a former general who was head of the military in 1999 when Indonesia’s army committed serious human rights abuses in East Timor, was named the minister for security, political and legal affairs in a key role that oversees five ministries including foreign, interior and defence
A controversial former military chief accused of atrocities during Indonesia’s brutal occupation of East Timor was appointed top security minister Wednesday, with activists calling it a step backwards for human rights.
Wiranto, named to the powerful post in a cabinet reshuffle, was among senior officers indicted by United Nations prosecutors over gross human rights abuses during the 24-year occupation of tiny East Timor.
Around 100,000 people are estimated to have been killed, mainly by Indonesian forces and their proxies, or to have died of starvation and illness during the occupation, which occurred during dictator Suharto’s three-decade rule.
“It is a setback,” Andreas Harsono, Indonesia researcher for Human Rights Watch, said.
“The message might be that Jokowi [Widodo] is not going to be as progressive as before in pursuing his human rights agenda.”
Widodo was likely trying to balance his unwieldy ruling coalition, said Keith Loveard, a senior risk analyst at Jakarta-based Concord Consulting.
Wiranto, a former general who was head of the military in 1999 when Indonesia’s army committed serious human rights abuses in East Timor, was named the minister for security, political and legal affairs.
Wiranto’s Hanura party, a small partner in the coalition, lost two other ministers in the shake-up, which saw 13 changes to the cabinet and was the second reshuffle under Widodo.
Wiranto, who like many Indonesians goes by one name, was head of the armed forces when the Indonesian army and paramilitaries went on a bloody rampage in East Timor after it voted to become independent in August 1999. The country formally became independent in 2002.
Wiranto and other military men were indicted for crimes against humanity in 2003 by a UN tribunal but successive Indonesian governments have ignored its findings. He denies any wrongdoing and has never faced court over the atrocities.
He replaces Luhut Panjaitan in the key role of chief security minister, overseeing five ministries including foreign, interior and defence.
Observers suggest Panjaitan caused concern among the military elite and Islamic groups by taking unprecedented steps to probe a bloody 1960s purge of communists and their supporters.
Cabinet Secretary Pramono Anung defended the appointment of Wiranto, describing him as “tested and experienced”. He has previously held the posts of defence and security minister.
Despite the claims against him, Wiranto has managed to retain a prominent position in public life. He has been a presidential candidate in two elections and in 2009 was the running mate of Jusuf Kalla, the current vice president.
This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as:Controversial former general named security minister