BALI...latest Updates...Om Swastiastu ...
Breaking News this week: After much delay, the government has finally enlarged to 45 the list of countries eligible for a free visa upon arrival. Note: Conditions apply –
Small is beautiful: the Bali and Beyond Travel Fair closed last week in Nusa Dua, while Indonesia’s Tourism Minister stood in for President Joko Widodo to open the 37th Bali Arts Festival.
Other lead stories of the week: Noor Ellis has been sentenced to 12 years in prison for killing her businessman husband, Bob Ellis. An American may face a similar sentence of a dozen years for being caught with 3 gram of marijuana. A New Zealander is threatened with 18 years in prison for carrying drugs for an on-line love interest into Bali. Police in Kuta arrest five men who preyed on bank customers. Bali suffers a near-total power outage last Wednesday. And, an Australian man has drowned while snorkeling in East Bali.
Bureaucratic bumbling continues to be blamed for the lack of anti-rabies vaccine for those bitten by dogs, causing Bali authorities to step up euthanization programs for stray dogs.
After a month spent cooling his heals in Canberra, Australia’s Ambassador has returned to Jakarta to start mending fences with the Joko Widodo administration.
Governor Pastika made a quick trip last week to Singapore for a medical check up.
In an effort to shore up its ailing currency, Bank Indonesia warns that most transactions in Indonesia must be finalized in Indonesian Rupiahs.
Traders at Garuda Wisnu Kencana are protesting a decision by the Park’s operators to bar access to their places of business.
Lawmakers in Bali accuse PT Pelindo of high-handedness in the development of the Port of Benoa.
Meanwhile, Hindu leaders are protesting that the enforcement of rules on wearing helmets while riding on motorcycles discriminates against devout Hindus in Bali.
Aviation News: Bali’s airport installs thermal scanners to detect possible cases of MERS among arriving passengers. Garuda Indonesia increases the number of flights between Amsterdam and Indonesia. Within its size category, Bali’s new Ngurah Rai International Airport ranked #3 among the world’s airports.
Hotel News: Aru Santhiran has been named corporate general manager of Rama Hotels and Resorts. Como Shambhala’s wellness Spa is cited among the best in an article on CNN. And, Julie Jackson takes charge of sales and marketing at the St, Regis Bali and The Laguna.
Indonesia tourism seeks a larger share of the fast-expanding Middle Eastern market.
And finally, read my recommendation on how the purchase of a wristband may give your life a new direction.
- Festival Gastronomique with Four French Chefs June 19-21, 2015.
- Conrad Bali Living Lobby Art Exhibition features wayang puppets through June 30, 2015.
- Bali Rainbow Community hosts a fun-filled ‘A Royal Variety Performance” on Tuesday, July 1, 2015.
- 7th International Body Music Festival (IBMF) in Bali, Indonesia, July 3-12, 2015.
- Bali Unite – a 3-Day Festival of Music, Arts, Wellness, Food & Drink in Karangasem July 31- August 2, 2105.
- Balinale – Bali International Film Festival – the 9th Edition, September 24-30, 2015.
- 4th BII Maybank Bali International Marathon, on Sunday, August 30, 2015.
- Bali Beach Run Returns to Bali on Sunday, September 6, 2015.
- ASEAN Beach Wrestling Tournament in Bali September 18-19, 2015.
- Seven Star Global Luxury Awards in Bali on September 19, 2015. Be sure to vote!
- International (ICEVI) Conference on Education for the Visually Impaired in Bali, September 28-October 1, 2015.
- World Congress of Consuls in Bali, October 15-18, 2015.
- 2015 Herbalife Bali International Triathlon on October 25, 2015.
- 4th International Conference on Family Planning November 9-12, 2015.
Om Çanti Çanti Çanti Om ...
Editor Bali Update
Bali Discovery Tours
Editor Bali Update
Bali Discovery Tours